I prefer to cover my knees ...

I was reading a column in this month's Women's Running magazine about what your favourite "shorts" are for running and it made me think about my own preferences when it comes to exercise attire in a more broad sense.

Working in a gym I get to see quite the range of exercise attire .. and yes I have seen pyjamas .. oh, and the full body suit .. in baby pink ...

We all remember these outfits ...

The majority of girls seem to prefer to workout in some kind of tights that come just below the knee or shorts.  Not short, shorts but more conservative.  Although I have seen the short, shorts too .. it's not good when bending over to stretch.  And let's not even go to the male version!

My personal preference when training in the gym or a class is for tights that sit just below the knee .. because I don't think anyone needs to see my knees.  But then when I'm running on the treadmill I pull my tights up over my knees .. oh dear, I may have a problem.
My preference on top is a tight-ish singlet.  Not so tight that you can see every jiggly bit, but not so baggy that it gets in the way or gets heavy when I sweat.  Because I do sweat, I'm afraid.  It's not pretty. Oh, and I can't wear t-shirts at the gym ... it feels weird.  

Today's training gear ... no I haven't showered yet ...

When I'm running outside there are many variables to be considered.  When, where, who .. you know, all of the important issues must be taken into account. 

Running in summer I'll usually sport a pair of shorts.  However, if I'm running anything over 5km I'll switch to a pair of tights that sit just above my knees.  Shorts and I don't seem to get along very well if my run is longer than the 5km .. I'm not fond of chaffing, nor the uncomfortable bunch of shorts in my crotch.  It's not really pretty for oncoming traffic either .. enough said.

Winter running and I'm pulling out the longer tights and long sleeve jacket or shirt.  Just below the knee or if it's really cold .. like now .. and yes, it's cold in Brisbane .. I wear a full length tight.  And a cap,  I'm unsure if I can actually physically run without my cap ( summer or winter version ) ...  

Now tell me, what's your favourite gym get up? 
All stories of fluoro g-string leotards and leg warmers will be gladly accepted and giggled at later ...

PS .. I've just re-read what I wrote and have discovered that I may have some "quirks" when it comes to my training gear ...


Vicki x






4 comments:

Tina said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Usually I wear shorts, but I just bought tights for the first time today. I'm excited!!

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You may be converted Tina! One day I may have the courage to buy a pair of running shorts ...

Deb said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I wear longer legging type things (tracksuit pants). I prefer fitting ones for exercising (other than walking). I can't imagine wearing shorts ANYWHERE any more because I have fat knees - even before I was fat I had fat knees.

I wear a big t-shirt to cover everything up - and it has to be long to almost go down to my thighs so my hips are hidden. Perhaps one day I'll be thin enough to wear a more fitting / shorter t-shirt or even - god forbid - a sports singlet... but I doubt it!!!!

Deb

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Deb, you are out there getting amongst it so as long as you are comfortable. You do crack me up though x