Winter wonderings ...

It was quite cool here this morning.  Yes, this is something to comment about.  After summer finally started getting hot, it seemed to last for longer than normal.  In the last week we've had some warm mornings, not cool, but not as hot it has been.  This morning was different, it was one of those mornings when you just want to stay under the covers.
But, being the dedicated runner that I am, committed runner .. oh alright, I forced myself out of bed and changed into my running clothes.  As I was feeling a little princess like this morning I even grabbed my running jacket!  I said it was cool remember ... Anyway, I took it off at the turn around as I was starting to get a little warm.

All that being said, that's not why I'm here .. I got to thinking this morning, if I'm having trouble getting out of bed and getting moving now, what am I going to be like when it is really cold and dark outside in the mornings?  Then I ventured into the why I don't like running in winter thoughts .. so I am going to share them.  

Firstly, I would like to add a disclaimer .. these are coming from someone who lives in a sub tropical climate, where it does not snow, however would still prefer to hibernate during winter ... 
Here they are ...
  • it's cold outside in the mornings
  • it's dark in the mornings
  • it's much nicer in bed under the covers
  • it takes longer to warm up
  • the cold air hurts your nose and lungs when you run
  • sometimes you just can't warm your hands up and they stay cold 
  • it's cold and dark outside in the mornings .. oops, did I already say that?
This list is not exhaustive and I reserve the right to add to it whenever I feel like talking myself out of a run ...

Being a generally positive person, I like to try to finish on a positive note .. so I'll now list some points that I thought of that I liked about winter ...
  • you don't get as hot and sweaty during or after your run
  • you can run after 9am and not roast in the hot sun
  • you don't get such a bad running shorts tan .. which I kind of want instead of the sickly pale skin after winter
  • the Gold Coast Marathon is on during winter and it is here I will achieve my 2011 goal of running the half in under 2 hours
  • I get a brief holiday to the Gold Coast ... to run for 2 hours .. oh well, it's a holiday!
  • I can curl up in a blanket in front of the TV with a hot chocolate
  • long, hot showers are much more enjoyable
There, I'm happy now .. oh and there's one I forgot .. after winter comes summer! And that's my favourite!

What do you do to motivate yourself to run outdoors in winter?

Stay strong, stay focused!

  
Fit Mum x

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are so correct I do enjoy winter running in Qld