Women in Sport ... Meet Debbie

This gorgeous lady is one of the people who most inspire me and motivate me.  And it just so happens that she is one of my good friends!!


Who is Debbie?
43 years old!!! I am a wife ( 19 years married! ), mum to 2 great kids(10 and 12, so that’s busy!), I work 25hrs week in an office role, I am a fitness instructor ( 20years ) taking anything from 10 to 15 training sessions a week!!( and love it sooo much! ) …. Yes, my weeks are just crazy, but its all good!!
How did you start out becoming a fitness instructor?
I was not a very active person in my early 20’s, I was way too busy having fun with my friends! I started getting stomach aches and was diagnosed with a minor medical condition ( nothing serious ), but Dr asked me how much exercise I did. He said it would be a good idea to start some form of exercising for many reasons. So I joined my local gym and started doing classes ... loved it so much, it was like dancing with the lights on, loud music, funky music and lots of others who were doing it too ( safety in numbers! ). I just fell in love with the feeling it gave me. I got to know everyone at the gym, including the instructors, they mentioned the fitness course and the rest is history! I have never looked back since. It has been a great job hours are very flexible and non stop fun.  I trained through both pregnancies and being fit and strong made my recoveries speedy. I love the feeling of helping people and I feel this is such a positive way to contribute to peoples lives and their health!

How do you find a balance between family, work, training etc?
Finding a good balance for everything in life is different for everyone but I do have a theory, if I am fit and healthy I will have more to give my family, more energy to maintain a high level pace being busy and learning to get the family involved in your life.  It's not my house … it's our house so we all clean it, we all help with washing, we all help with cooking.  It is tough.  I am not saying its easy, but we all work together and there’s lots of good family time as well! We love camping and find this is a great escape for all of us, great family time together, so we schedule trips regularly. And I keep smiling, that helps. I know that I am not superwoman and something has to wait, don’t be too hard on yourself and it will work out!!

Are there times when you just don't feel like teaching a class? How do you overcome this .. do you have a special "mantra"?
Sometimes I do have moments when the thought of training does not excite me totally, but I always know that I feel amazing afterwards, and it being my job does help. I love helping people achieve things they never thought they could, pushing themselves like they cant do on their own!  But I admit I do have a personal trainer too and he pushes me to limits I did not know I had!  I think it's important to have someone, other than yourself, to answer to and push you, that’s healthy!

Being an instructor along with your other everyday job, family etc you must work up a pretty big appetite. How do you make sure you are eating the right foods to keep your energy up every day?
As mentioned I am very busy and have some crazy busy days.  First class is at 5.45am then work 8am to 5pm then another 5.45pm class.  Then home to get dinner for the family etc ... yes very busy!  I always make sure I am 100% organised with meals. I cook up meals for my lunches twice a week and every morning I pack my esky for the whole days food.  I  eat 5 - 6 meals a day so it’s a big esky!!! I never leave doubt in my mind to what I am having for lunch or snacks etc, you cant make bad choices or go wrong then! I am doing a lot of training so I do need lots of food, but it also needs to be good nutritious food otherwise I just can’t keep up to my schedule. I am just as organised at home with family meals, I plan this each Sunday for the week for the same reason!

What are your weaknesses when it comes to food?
I do love caramel mud cake and have trouble saying no!! But lucky for me its not available everywhere so I keep it under control.
Do you allow yourself treat / cheat days?
I am the same as everyone, I love lunches and dinners out with friends, dessert etc, but I choose my treats wisely!! If I am going out for lunch with friends or dinner with my family, what ever the occasion, I do allow myself freedom to have foods I would not usually have. I don’t believe in cheat days, just cheat meals, a whole day off track can mess with your head and your body too much. But hey, enjoy a great meal with dessert and some wine, no problem at all!! Just make sure you jump back on track next meal.

What is your current training looking like?
I train 6 days a week, cross training including weights, but I try to always have Sunday off.
Are you training for anything in particular?
I am in training for a healthy wonderful life. I set myself 3 month goals all the time! I am 43 years old and love being fit and healthy but….I always know that I can be fitter, I can be stronger. I am doing a 12 week challenge with the gym I work at right now, and that has allowed me to refocus on my food and diet, and to commit to more weight training, loving every minute of it!

What advice do you have for other women for starting out and staying motivated and committed to their exercise / healthy eating program?
Slow and steady wins every time, commitment is your key to success. Don’t let people around you deter you from what you want to do, surround yourself with people that can help you, support you and make you feel good!!! Find a trainer who you trust and who you feel good with and comfortable around. And never say never!!
Phew!  Deb is a whirlwind and sometimes I just don't know how she keeps up with everything!  One thing Deb mentioned that is super important, is that being organised and planning your meals and snacks is one of the most crucial things to do to stay on track!  So, off you go, plan your meals and snacks for the next week .. no excuses to stray!! 
Vicki x

 
 


8 comments:

Liz@LastChanceTraining said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Good on you Deb, group fitness rocks :)

Kek said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Thanks for introducing Debbie - I love "meeting" women who are busy, busy mums and yet still manage to look after their own needs when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle.

And I'm so glad to discover that she's not one of those unbelievably virtuous types who say they never, ever eat desserts or other tempting treats. ;)

Deb said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I like the 'cheat meal' rather than the 'cheat day' concept.

And the focus on 'planning' ahead also sounds like a theme!

Deb

Lucie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

You are an inspiration. I decided to start getting a trainer 3 times a week to get fit and healthy

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Kek Agree Kek, I like real people who eat real food too!

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Liz@LastChanceTraining Liz, I wouldn't mind doing some more GF classes .. I am still working on a way to take you up on RPM

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Deb Deb, planning is key!

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@Lucie You go Lucie!! Keep me updated on how your training in going! X