What I'm eating Wednesday .. Sugar Free September update

 
How are you going with your Sugar Free September challenge?  Are you still going strong or have you allowed yourself a few credits along the way?

I'm still sugar free and I'm really quite happy with how everything is going!  Well, except for Monday just gone when I had a really crappy morning and I really felt like a huge chocolate bar.  I don't know why, I guess I thought it would make me feel better.  Good thing there's none in the house!  So I compromised .. I made a BLT sandwich for lunch and I even had a squirt of BBQ sauce!  I know, I sinned but my sandwich tasted great!

Another bonus of my sugar free weeks .. I have managed to lose the kilo or so that I had put on over the last few months.  Before I hear you scream at me, I know it's not much but let's say that I'm feeling a little less bloated around my tummy! 

Eeeew, enough about that!  Has anyone whipped up anything exciting over the last few weeks that they feel the need to share?  Something that's yummy, quick and easy to prepare and that's also nutritious and healthy.  Let me know and I can share it here if you like! It doesn't have to be sugar free, but we like healthy choices!

At the Fit Mum house we try to have a vegetarian night once a week.  Mostly so that we all try something a bit different and I guess it can't hurt to give our bodies a rest from meat sometimes.  ( Sorry all you carnivores out there, I love meat too so don't panic I haven't lost the plot! )

Tonight we feasted on Pumpkin, Sweet Potato & Spinach Lasagne.  I haven't made this for ages but it's really quite simple. 

What you need ...

1 large butternut pumpkin
2 medium sweet potato
1 packet of spinach ( I use fresh not the frozen stuff )
Olive oil
Rosemary ( either fresh or dried )
700g jar Tomato Passata*
120g goats cheese*
Lasagne sheets
Mozzarella and Parmesan to top

What you do ...

Chop both the pumpkin and sweet potato into 1 inch cubes, swish some olive oil to lightly coat the veg.  Don't drown them!  Place them on an oven tray and spread them out a bit so they cook evenly.  Season with salt and sprinkle some rosemary over them.  Roast in moderate oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until they are soft and a little bit browned.



Chop the spinach up a little bit, drizzle with a little olive oil and season with some salt and pepper.

Build your lasagne as you would normally.  I start off by putting a little passata on the bottom then add the lasagne sheets.  Again with the passata, then add the spinach, vegies and some crumbled cheese.  Top with lasagne sheet and layer again.  On the final layer I have the lasagne sheet then the last of the passata and the cheeses.


Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes making sure you don't burn the cheese on top!

ooops I forgot to take a pic until after I started!
* You could use the ones with the added herbs to give you a bit more oomph!
* I used some crumbled feta and goats cheese, because that's what I had!

Enjoy!


What did you have for dinner tonight? 

 

3 comments:

Me said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Sounds great - will have to try it out one night. J and I din't eat much meat and love veggie lasagne.

Have a great day !!

Me

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I made Chicken and Vegetable meatballs and served with pasta. A good way to sneak in extra vegetables without the kids even realising.

Monday night was our vegetarian night. I made a Mexican bean dish and served with Corn Mountain Bread (as the Tortillas have added sugar). Also made up my own taco seasoning as the store bought seasoning/sauces/salsas have added sugar. Also had spinach, carrot, corn, a little bit of sour cream and cheese too.

Deb said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Glad your sugar-free Sept is going okay!

Tonight for dinner I had fish. Lightly coated in flour and 'fried' though with no oil in fry pan.... served with my own salsa (v.simple chopped onion, garlic and tomato also dry-fried)... with some sour cream and lemon juice.

Yummy!