Emergency batch of muffins ...

Minor emergency .. nothing serious though ...

As usual I pack the kids school lunch the night before ( you know, being organised and all ) and I've just realised that there are no "appropriate" snacks for the kids school lunches.  It appears I've run out of home baked muffins, biscuits and slices.  And, as you have probably gathered from my previous posts I'm not a fan of the commercial snacks so there's no chips or other treats in the cupboard.  This is 9.30pm .. I can barely keep my eyes open. 

With the amount of food my kids are consuming at the moment, this could possibly mean there needs to be an emergency batch of muffins baked ... what choice do I have?


So, this morning, in between getting ready for work, school etc ... I whip up a batch of muffins.  I know I make a lot of muffins for the kids don't I? I love them ..they are quick and easy and I can hide fruit and veggies in them! Bonus!! Note .. Miss 9 does not like the apple chunks in the recipe below, but well, it's not her choice so she eats them under only a small amount of sufferance ...

This is today's batch ...


Apple and Oat Muffins

Ingredients     
                                                             
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 cup Plain Flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats, plus 1 tbspn extra
1 1/2 cups ( 375ml ) natural yoghurt, at room temp
2 eggs, lightly beaten
100ml light olive oil ( I use canola oil )
1 red or green apple, chopped smallish

What to do ...

Preheat oven to 180C.  Prepare muffin pan with cases and spray with cooking spray.

Sift flours, and baking powder together.  Stir in oats and sugar.  Whisk yoghurt, eggs and oil together.  Add to dry ingredients with chopped apple and mix together until just combined.  Do not over mix.

Divide mixture into muffin cases until 3/4 full.  Sprinkle top with extra oats if you like.

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked when tested.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling rack.

Serve warm, not hot as this may burn your mouth ...  Mr Fit Mum, please note this ...

Store in airtight container for a few days ( if they last ) .. I keep them in the fridge and then pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up.

Lastly, off the muffin subject .. a shout out to the fabulous Liz from Last Chance Training .. I whipped up my own version of her Chicken Korma Burgers for dinner last night! YUM


Fit Mum x   

4 comments:

Liz@LastChanceTraining said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I think apple and cinnamon is my favourite flavour! Yummo :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I used to work with someone who cooked her kids muffins (for breakfast) each day. She got up at some ridiculous hour and made up the batter and put them in the oven on a timer and went for a run. Then she got home and - voila! - muffins were ready.

I'm coeliac so flour etc is a problem for me and I've never been a big muffin-eater but I love the idea of something like that on occasions. (The only thing I make in my muffin tins are these eggy frittata things with chopped bacon and tomato!)... perhaps I'll go and buy some GF muffin mix!

PS. I don't mind apple, but hate chunks in things. I used to do an apple shortbread thing and use those Goulburn Valley pureed apple instead of chunky apple. Yummmm.....

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Liz .. I'm going to add cinnamon next time ;)

Vicki said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Deb, I have thought about doing that in the mornings but that's like way too organised for me! I think Melinda's ( ? )at woollies do really good GF stuff ..
I think your eggy frittata things are perfect .. might do those for the kids too! Great snack!
Vic x