What I ate Wednesday ... Homemade Muesli bars

Hands up who has said they need to clean up their diet after Easter and the school holidays? I know I haven't been quite as good as I could have been and it's time to clean up my diet a little bit more! 

What I ate today ...

Breakfast ... pretty standard for me!

Lunch ... thrown together in approx 2 minutes
 
Dinner .. please excuse the pic and plating it's a bit dodgy!
 
Snacks ... I grabbed one after lunch for a treat
as I ran out the door .. again! Recipe coming soon ..
I also had an apple with cottage cheese for a morning snack .. no pic, I forgot ...
And afternoon snack was one of the muesli bars that I have the recipe for below.  I was going to have a piece of fruit but I got distracted ... and I can't remember where ... oops, carry on ...

Here's a recipe for muesli bars that I sort of found.  By that I mean I found a similar one but can't remember where and I mix it up to what I have on hand or that I feel like adding in.  We can snack on this relatively guilt free and it packages up nicely if you are on the go!  It's great for the kids lunch boxes too now they are back at school and sport they need heaps of food to keep them going .. well mine seem to anyway! 

Homemade Muesli Bars

What you need ...

2 cups oats
1/4 cup agave nectar / maple syrup or honey .. your choice
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup nuts .. your choice, I use smashed up almonds
1/4 cup dried fruit .. again your choice, I used cranberries

What you do ...

Combine oats, nuts and dried fruit in a bowl.
Melt together the agave syrup and peanut butter.
Pour peanut butter and syrup into oats mixture to combine.
Press into a small baking dish, I used a smallish 18x18cm square baking dish.
Bake in 160C oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Cut into whatever size bars or squares you prefer.



What I like about this recipe is that you can use whatever fruit or nuts you prefer. You could even add some chocolate chips or coconut to change the taste.

A really quick healthy snack that you can package up and take it on the go too. Perfect for mums and kids on the go!

What did you eat today? 
Was it healthy, nutritious, balanced? 
Did you love it?!

0 comments: